1/1 Photo of Sailor's Beef Casserole (Merimiespihvi) - Finnish
2 hrs 30 mins
Debbie R.'s Note:
This is from the "Best of Finnish Cooking". The author put it together to pass on her heritage to her sons. The author wrote that Finnish food is salty, but use your own judgement and discretion when it comes to the amount that you use. Do not use anything except pale lager for the beer. I made it with Guinness; it completely overpowered the dish and turned bitter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb round steak (or brisket)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or vegetable oil)
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 medium potatoes (about 2.2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup beer (pale lager only!!)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Cut the meat into slices across the grain. In a hot skillet, brown them quickly on both sides using only half the butter or oil. Remove to a plate.
- 3Lower the heat and cook the onions slowly in the rest of the butter until they are soft and golden. If they become browned, they'll be a completely different taste than when they're golden.
- 4Peel and slice the potatoes as thinly as possible.
- 5In a 1 quart casserole dish, layer the potatoes with the browned meat and onions, sprinkling each meat layer with a litle of the salt, pepper and allspice. I started with a layer of potatoes, meat, onions, spice. Repeated two more times for a total of three layers, but make the last layer one of potatoes.
- 6Rinse the skillet with the beer and the broth. Pour into the casserole. Add the bay leaf.
- 7Cover tightly, but no need for foil under the lid. Bake for 2 hours, or until the meat is tender and potatoes are soft.
- 8Sprinkle with parsley and serve. Traditionally served with pickled beets.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sailor's Beef Casserole (Merimiespihvi) - Finnish
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 649.7
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 98.0 mg
- Sodium 1531.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 33.7 g