Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This a great cold weather beef dish. One of my best friends from Sweden made this for me and I had to have the recipe.
- 2 lbs beef round steak, thinly sliced
- 4 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 onions, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 -3 cups beer
- 2 -3 cups beef stock
- bay leaf
- In a large skillet heat half of the butter. Brown the beef slices, seasoning with salt and pepper. When all beef slices are browned, set them aside.
- In the same skillet heat another tablespoon of butter. Add the onions and saute on medium heat until transparent and slightly caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large stockpot place a layer of potato slices to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the potato slices with a layer of the browned beef. Season to taste.
- Cover the beef layer with layer of sauteed onions. Add a bay leaf or two.
- Repeat the layering process until all ingredients are used. Finish with a top layer of potatoes.
- Dot the potatoes with the remaining butter and then pour in beer and stock. You want half and half beer and stock, and you only want the liquid to just touch the top layer of potatoes.
- Bring the beef and potatoes to a boil and then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
- When the potatoes are cooked and the beef is fork tender this is done. Serve with good bread, pickled cucumbers and beets. A nice soup is good to start this meal.