Recipe by s'kat
I had this ice cream at the Blue Talon restaurant in Williamsburg- heavenly served with a warm, peach cobbler.
Top Review by dnicke2001
Excellent Recipe! The ingredients list actually yeilds 2 Quarts, not just one. One thing I would do different would be to make it creamier with more heavy whipping cream and less milk. When in the freezer it gets very hard...could be creamier texture. Otherwise, flavor was SUPERIOR!!
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons saigon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place milk, 1 cup of the sugar, and vanilla bean in large, heavy saucepan.
- Over medium heat, bring to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks with remaining ½ cup of sugar.
- In a steady stream, pour 1/3 of hot milk mixture into egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly.
- Add egg yolk mixture back into pan and whisk over medium heat until thickened- be careful not to boil.
- When mixture has attained a custard-like consistency, strain through a sieve into a bowl over an ice bath.
- Cover and place in refrigerator until chilled, about 2 hours.
- When thoroughly chilled, stir in the cream, salt, cinnamon and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to ice cream maker, and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer to a container and freeze until firm.