Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Originally from the Lemon Grass Restaurant's cookbook "The Best of Vietnamese & Thai Cooking". Have made a few changes. Use as a chicken marinade for the grill, or for oven roasted chicken and Cornish game hens.
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 shallots
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon hot ground chili paste
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (peanut preferred)
- 1 (4 lb) chicken, butterflied for roasting or 4 lbs chicken parts, for bbq or 2 Cornish hens
- to make marinade spicier add thai bird chile (or more)
- Mince marinade ingredients by hand or process in food processor.
- Marinate chicken at least 2 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator.
- If roasting entire chicken, can put an onion and a lemon inside chicken. Roast at 350 approximately 1 hour with occasional basting.
- If barbecuing pieces, baste with marinade and cook until it is as you like. I tend to cook long over medium-low coals with mesquite chips.
Oh wow, this is seriously great! Anyone who likes Vietnamese HAS to try this! So easy too; I used 2 skinless breasts for the two of us, each cut into 4 strips lengthways, stabbed with a knife a few times, and marinated overnight. I cooked this on my health grill and basted frequently, served with rice and greens; taste was truly amazing and full, thanks for a recipe I can't wait to make again!