Recipe by Comedie
Originally from the Lemon Grass Restaurant's cookbook "The Best of Vietnamese & Thai Cooking". Have made a few changes. Use as a chicken marinade for the grill, or for oven roasted chicken and Cornish game hens.
Top Review by currybunny
Oh wow, this is seriously great! Anyone who likes Vietnamese HAS to try this! So easy too; I used 2 skinless breasts for the two of us, each cut into 4 strips lengthways, stabbed with a knife a few times, and marinated overnight. I cooked this on my health grill and basted frequently, served with rice and greens; taste was truly amazing and full, thanks for a recipe I can't wait to make again!
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 shallots
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon hot ground chili paste
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (peanut preferred)
- 1 (4 lb) chicken, butterflied for roasting or 4 lbs chicken parts, for bbq or 2 Cornish hens
- to make marinade spicier add thai bird chile (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mince marinade ingredients by hand or process in food processor.
- Marinate chicken at least 2 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator.
- If roasting entire chicken, can put an onion and a lemon inside chicken. Roast at 350 approximately 1 hour with occasional basting.
- If barbecuing pieces, baste with marinade and cook until it is as you like. I tend to cook long over medium-low coals with mesquite chips.