Recipe by auntchelle
Always a part of my Indian meals. My vegetarian friends really like this one. I've not timed the making so times are a guesstimate. Australian measurements used.
- 500 g pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons yellow split peas (toor dhal or tuvar dhal or arhar dhal is better if you can get it)
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut (or fresh, grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, seed and cube pumpkin.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry split peas, mustard seeds and curry leaves over low heat until mustard seeds pop and split peas are golden. Stir often.
- Add garlic and fry, stirring for 1 minute, then stir in the ground spices.
- Add pumpkin and salt and enough water to almost cover pumpkin. Cover pan and simmer until pumpkin is half cooked, then sprinkle with coconut and continue cooking until pumpkin is soft.
- Serve with rice.