Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From my cookbook 'Recipes with a Spice - Indian Cuisine for Balanced Nutrition' Sago or sabodana is made from tapioca and is widely used during the fasting days when no cereal is eaten. It replaces rice and flour in many dishes. Serve these patties hot. If cold, reheat in the oven at 375 degrees F, spread out on a cookie sheet, for 5 to 10 minutes until warm and crisp.
- Rinse and soak the sabodana in 1 cup water for about ½ hour until soft.
- Drain excess liquid.
- Peel and mash the boiled potatoes.
- Mix with the soaked sabodana, peanuts and all the seasonings.
- Make small round disks (vadas).
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet or wok on medium to high heat.
- Put as many vada that can fit in the skillet in single layer.
- Deep fry, turning often so that all sides are cooked, until golden brown.
- (Regulate the heat as needed while the vada are being fried.) Repeat with the remaining vada.
- Drain; serve hot with any chutney.
- Healthy Alternative: Make ½ thick patties.
- Pan fry them on a skillet instead of deep frying.