Recipe by currybunny
The ultimate recipe from my wonderful Grandma; it just wasn't Christmas without this pudding served with brandy sauce! So much moister than other plum puddings, this one made with sago has totally turned me off all others! Prep time does not include overnight soaking.
- 3 tablespoons sago
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins, halved
- 1 (100 g) package glace cherries, quartered (or a 200gm pack if you love 'em!)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 dashes cinnamon
- chopped mixed peel, a little
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak sago in milk overnight.
- Dissolve the soda in the melted butter.
- Add to the sago in milk together with all the other ingredients, mix well.
- Place in 1 - 1 1/2 pint greased basin; cover securely and steam for 3-4 hours.
- Serve with brandy sauce or custard!