Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
i needed a rice recipe to go with some kabobs that i was making and i decided to alter my spanish rice recipe to have a more asian feel....this is what i threw together & i have to say, it came out really good!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, sliced into pats
- add water, all of the seasonings except the butter & half of the seasame seeds to a microwave safe measuring cup & heat in the microwave for 2 minutes to dissolve the bullion, set aside.
- brown rice in hot oil in a large skillet for approximately 5 minutes.
- add chopped onion, minced garlic & saute til onions are soft.
- add seasoned water to the browned rice, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- do not check on the rice before the 15 minutes is up, this will allow steam to escape and may make your rice turn out undercooked.
- after 15 minutes uncover, turn rice over, place butter pats on top recover & let steam for 3-5 more minutes.
- fluff with a fork to distribute the butter, sprinkle with remaining sesame seeds & serve.
I used dehydrated onions because I was out of fresh. Skipped the butter and increased the sesame oil to 1/2 tsp & I used black sesame seeds. I use jasmine rice and poured everything into my rice cooker and voila! It was a truly delightful side dish! TY!
My rice was cooked to perfection. I used 1 small yellow onion. I used 3 leaves of fresh sage. It gave the rice a nice taste. I would have like more taste of the sesame oil. Maybe a little bit of soy sauce would have been great. Thanks CatalinaCrawler. Made for ZWT4