Top Review by carley king
heaven on earth. it's salty and sweet at the same time... super easy to make and even critics at my house were pleased. they were at thier best when fresh and warm I will definately make these again. (oh they were SO good)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 2⁄3 tablespoon fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 2⁄3 tablespoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2⁄3 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sage, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- With two knives or your fingers, cut in cream cheese and butter until you have lumps the size of peas.
- Stir in buttermilk until just combined.
- Do not overmix or the biscuits will be tough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat into a circle about 9 inches in diameter.
- Cut into wedges with a sharp knife.
- Transfer the wedges to the prepared baking sheet.
- Mix the egg and water; brush biscuits lightly with some of the egg mixture.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until they are firm to the touch and very lightly browned.
- Serve warm.