1/1 Photo of Sage,sausage and Spinach Stuffed Acorn Squash
1 hr 15 mins
Caroline Cooks's Note:
If you love sage, you'll love this one! Can't remember where this came from, probably Southern Living. Makes a tasty main dish or use as a side to grill chicken or pork. Leave out the sausage and sub vegetable broth for a vegetarian meal. Enjoy! Cooking time includes roasting the squash.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
- 3 sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup dry white wine or 1/8 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups Baby Spinach, stems trimmed
- 1/8 cup dried sage, crushed
- olive oil
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Slice squash in half horizontally, scoop out seeds.
- 3Cut a thin slice offbottoms to allow each to remain upright.
- 4Drizzle with some olive oil, sprinkle with salt and place flesh side down for on well oiled baking sheet; roast for 20 minutes.
- 5Turn flesh side up and roast another 20-30 minutes until fork tender.
- 6Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp oil in heavy skillet and saute sausage over medium heat, breaking into chunks and cook until browned about 8-10 minutes.
- 7Add sage, onion, garlic; saute another 2-3 minutes to release herb and garlic flavors.
- 8Pour in white wine; stir bits from bottom of skillet, and simmer until almost all liquid is evaporated.
- 9Add spinach and wilt 2-3 minutes.
- 10Drain liquid from spinach. Remove from heat.
- 11Stir in bread crumbs.
- 12Divide stuffing among squash halves, mounding, if needed.
- 13Top with cheese.
- 14Place under preheated broiler for 2-4 minutes until golden brown.
- 15To serve: Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sage,sausage and Spinach Stuffed Acorn Squash
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 728.8
- Calories from Fat 323
- Total Fat 35.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 70.9 mg
- Sodium 1686.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 32.1 g