1/4 Photos of Sage-Roasted Turkey With Caramelized Onions
7 hrs 20 mins
Very moist turkey from Bon Appetit Every-Night Cooking. The turkey roasts on a bed of caramelized onions that mixes with the turkey drippings to make a delicious gravy. It can also be made with a whole chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (15 lb) whole turkey, neck, heart, and gizzard cut into 1-inch pieces and reserved
- 2 tablespoons butter (1/4 stick)
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (or more)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 425°F Toss onions and 2 tablespoons oil in large roasting pan. Roast until onions are golden brown, stirring every 15 minutes, about 1 hour.
- 2Meanwhile, rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry. Slide hand under skin of turkey breast to loosen skin. Spread butter under skin over breast meat. Arrange 4 sage leaves under skin on each side of breast. If stuffing turkey, spoon stuffing loosely into main cavity. Tuck wing tips under turkey; tie legs together loosely. Rub turkey all over with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 3Place turkey atop onions in pan. Add neck, heart and gizzard pieces to pan. Roast turkey 30 minutes. Pour 1 cup broth into pan. Tent turkey loosely with foil. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F Roast turkey 2 hours. Uncover; continue to roast until turkey is golden brown and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180°F, basting occasionally with pan juices, about 1 hour longer. Transfer to platter. Tent loosely with foil; let stand 30 minutes.
- 4Remove neck and giblet pieces from pan; discard. Pour onion mixture into large glass measuring cup; spoon off fat, reserving 2 tablespoons. Add more chicken broth to onion mixture if necessary to measure 5 cups total.
- 5Heat reserved 2 tablespoons turkey fat in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped sage; stir 30 seconds. Add flour; whisk until beginning to color, about 3 minutes (mixture will be dry and crumbly). Gradually whisk in onion mixture, wine and nutmeg. Simmer until gravy thickens, whisking 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- 6Carve turkey; serve hot with gravy.
- 7Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sage-Roasted Turkey With Caramelized Onions
Serving Size: 1 (619 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 915.2
- Calories from Fat 419
- Total Fat 46.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 344.7 mg
- Sodium 354.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 103.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves
fresh sage leaves