Recipe by Saudie
I made this tonight for supper. I combined two recipes that were given to me and made one. It was very good--a keeper. I love the idea of a meal in one dish. Serve with biscuits or homemade bread.
- 5 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon rubbed dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, ground fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic and herb seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup red wine, dry
- 4 medium potatoes
- 4 medium carrots
- 3 celery ribs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim excess fat from roast and discard.
- In Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in oil.
- Combine vegetables, rosemary, thyme, and vegetable seasoning in large bow.
- Place half the vegetable mixture on bottom of crock pot.
- Place roast in crock pot.
- Season with sage, salt, pepper, and seasoning blend; add rest of vegetables.
- Mix together beef broth, wine, and Worcestershire sauce; pour over vegetables and beef. Add bay leaves.
- Cover and cook 4 to 5 hours on high or 8 ½ to 9 hours on low until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove roast, then vegetables with slotted spoon; discard bay leaves.
- Transfer pan juices to small saucepan. Make a gravy mixture, thickening with flour and water.
- Place vegetable mixture and gravy in crock pot; stir to blend.
- Slice roast and serve.