Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Cooking Light. October 2003
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 (7 lb) roasting chickens
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- To prepare pesto, combine first 7 ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- To prepare chicken, remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry.
- Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- Rub pesto under loosened skin and over breast and drumsticks. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; bake at 450° for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove chicken from oven); bake an additional 1 1/2 hours or until a thermometer registers 180°.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Discard skin.