Sage Pesto-Rubbed Roast Chicken
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- To prepare pesto, combine first 7 ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- To prepare chicken, remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry.
- Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- Rub pesto under loosened skin and over breast and drumsticks. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; bake at 450° for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove chicken from oven); bake an additional 1 1/2 hours or until a thermometer registers 180°.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Discard skin.