Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Savoury stuffing posted on CityLine (City TV) website, created/submitted by Michael Bonacini.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups pumpkin (peeled & diced quarter inch)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh sage (or dried)
- 3⁄4 cup roasted pecan
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried cranberries
- 3 cups day-old diced bread (sourdough is great)
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- In a large casserole-type pot, heat 1 tbsp of butter.
- Add the pumpkin, drizzle with maple syrup and lightly saute for 8-10 minutes until lightly coloured and begins to soften.
- Remove from pan and keep to one side.
- Add the remainder of the butter to the pan and throw in the onions and gently saute for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the sage and continue to saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add back the pumpkin, pecans and the cranberries and gently stir over low heat.
- Add the 3 cups of day-old diced bread.
- Stir gently and season with salt and pepper.
- Add half the chicken stock and bake in an oven at approximately 285 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- Check from time to time and if you need to add a little more chicken stock, do so;; if not, allow the bread, pecans and pumpkin to absorb all the moisture and lightly caramelize.
- Note: Savoury stuffing can be used as is, or to stuff a turkey, chicken or Cornish hen.
- You stuff the bird using the stuffing at the point before the stuffing goes into the oven.