Recipe by Elly in Canada
This savoury compote is delicious with a grilled, pan-fried or broiled steak. I have prepared it for serving with BBQ hamburgers, a nice change from the usual burger toppings!!
Top Review by Barefoot Beachcomber
My family was here last night for our famous Hamburger Night, and I made this compote for a topping. We all liked it, although some thought it would be better without the almonds! A nice colour, a nice tang, and quick to assemble. A keeper. Thanks Elly!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups red onions, slice thinly
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium heat.
- Add onion slices, cook, stirring often until onions just start to brown, it will take about 10 - 12 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and heat thoroughly for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Serve warm with the meat of your choice.