Recipe by brenda-ohio
A family favorite
Top Review by yogiclarebear
I'm not going to rate this, as I think my crock pot cooks terribly. The sides were burnt and the middle was soggy. However, the parts that were edible were well liked! Great flavor. Next time (with a different crock!) I'll let my bread really stale and harden. I think my pieces were still too soft. Will try it again sometime...and I encourage others as well.
- 1 loaf stale bread, tore up into little pieces
- 3 stalks celery, chopped into small pieces
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon dry rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup real butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 5 medium eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- In skillet or saucepan cook the veggies and seasonings with the butter until tender.
- Add the chicken broth and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Pour over the torn bread and fold into the bread pieces.
- In separate bowl, beat the eggs; then add to the bread mixture and mix well.
- Stir in the milk and pour into a sprayed or buttered crock pot.
- Cook for 2 hours on low then turn to.
- high and cook for another 2 hours.
- Very moist and great flavor, not too strong .