Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was from a Publix recipe book originally, but I made some changes. I made these for St. Patrick's day and they were a hit!
- 1 lb Red Bliss potatoes or 1 lb butter potato, peeled and halved
- 7 ounces sage derby cheese, shredded (1 3/4 cups)
- 1⁄2 onion, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil (not extra-virgin) or 1⁄2 cup olive oil (not extra-virgin)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour (optional -- season with salt & pepper)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cover potatoes with salted water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes, just until tender. Cool, then shred potatoes into a large mixing bowl using the large holes of a box grater. Add cheese and toss to blend. Season mixture with salt and pepper and mix in egg.
- Using a measuring tablespoon, scoop even spoonfuls of potato cheese mixture. Form each scoop into a 1/2" thick round patty and dredge lightly on both sides in flour.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a a large frying pan. In batches of 6-8 pieces, place cakes in hot oil and cook 1-2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels.
- Whisk sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and serve with warm potato cakes.