Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Give your chicken extra flavor! This dish is delicious and a pretty choice for a dinner party or an elegant family meal. I have also made this succesfully with thighs and whole chicken.
- 4 chicken breasts, skin intact, bones
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 fresh sage leaves (or more)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- sage leaf (to garnish) (optional)
- Heat oven to 425*; then rinse chicken with cold water and blot dry. Rub chicken with salt and pepper. With fingers seperate (but do not completely detach) skin from flesh to form pocket. Ease sage leaves under skin; press gently to smooth skin back into place. If desired, insert toothpicks through skin and into flesh to keep skin stretched and help prevent shrinkage while cooking.
- In shallow casserole dish, arrange chicken skin side up; brush with butter. Bake, basting occasionally with pan drippings, until fork tender - about 40 minutes. Transfer to platter and keep warm.
- To pan drippings, add chicken broth & white wine, stir until blended and bring to boil and cook until reduced to 1/2. Skim any fat off top and spoon sauce over chicken.
- Garnish with sage leaves or other fresh herbs - Enjoy!