Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
The aroma is out of this world! This is a great bread for making meat sandwiches. Recipe was found on another web site.
- 1 cup water, plus
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄3 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups white bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- Add ingredients to machine as per manufacturers recommendations.
- About 10 minutes after the machine has begun to knead the dough, check consistency.
- Dough should be starting to form a smooth round ball.
- When touched the dough should be slightly tacky to the touch; however no dough should remain on the finger.
- If dough is to dry, add 1 Tbsp of water and allow machine to knead a few minutes before checking.
- If dough is to wet, add 1 Tbsp of flour and again allow machine to knead a few minutes before checking.
- Select the whole wheat cycle and allow the machine to do the rest.
- The 3 hour cook time is approximate, actual cook time will depend upon bread machine being used.
Definitely aromatic and the sage flavor was lovely and not overdone. The onion flavor was quite subtle and I would like a bit more of that. Maybe carmelizing the onions, as someone suggested, would bring out the flavor a bit more. Texture was soft and tender. I used this as a side for soup. Thanks for the recipe.
A lovely, aromatic bread! I was a little worried about the amount of sage, but the flavors melded beautifully. I think that this bread would make WONDERFUL stuffing cubes for poultry.
Yum! I'd never thought of putting sage in a bread before, I usually stick to the usual aromatic herbs (thyme, oregano etc). But this was great! I made into a cob loaf and some baguettes (made two lots of dough) and served with a spinach dip. So successful I'm going to do it again next weekend! I microwaved the chopped onions for 2 minutes just to take the bite-y ness out of them. And, I had no whole wheat flour, so I made with all bread flour and about 1/3 cup unprocessed bran. I also only put 1 tsp sugar.