Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This works best in a large slow cooker. This is a very simple but tasty dish.
Make and share this Sage and Onion Chicken With Cranberry Rice (Slow Cooker) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice, rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 orange, grated zest of and juice of
- 12 chicken thighs, bone-in, skinless
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons almonds, sliced, toasted
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, sage, peppercorns and salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and stir to coat. Add rice and stir to coat. Stir in cranberries. Add stock, orange zest and juice and bring to a boil. (You should have 4 cups of liquid in total. Squeeze the orange juice into a 1 cup measure and add chicken stock to make up 1 cup if necessary.).
- Lightly grease the slow cooker stoneware. Spoon half to rice mixture evenly over bottom of stoneware. Arrange chicken pieces evenly over top. Cover with remaining rice mixture. Place 2 clean tea towels, each folded in half (so you will have 4 layers), over top of stoneware to absorb moisture. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
- Topping: In a skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and toss until evenly coated. Cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in almonds. Spoon evenly over cooked rice and serve.