Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Genuine bhajis are made with gram flour, from chick peas. I've decided to go for a bit of a cheats version by using regular white flour and getting the colour from tumeric.
- 50 g self raising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 red chile, finely chopped
- 10 sage leaves, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, about 100g, sliced
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Place the flour, tumeric, chilli, sage and salt in a bowl. Add enough water - about 5 Tbsp - to form a very thick batter. Stir in the onion.
- Heat 5cm of oil in the wok and carefully drop the mixture into it using 2 tbsp - 1 to scoop up the batter and the other to ease it into the oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper and serve warm.