Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This came out of our Sunday paper's Food section. It seemed ideal to me since I could adjust it to be a low sodium entree. I doubled the recipe for the 3 of us and made 4 halves.(extra sauce would be good next time too-it went fast!)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 large sage leaves or 6 small sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- Place chicken breasts between wax paper or plastic wrap and pound to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Press 2 or 3 sage leaves on the surface of each breast.
- Combine flour,salt and pepper to taste on a plate, and gently dust chicken with the seasoned flour.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet and add chicken, sage-side down.
- Brown for 3 to 5 minutes, then turn over chicken and brown 3 minutes longer.
- Set chicken aside and pour off any fat.
- Add lemon juice and broth to the skillet and scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon.
- Return chicken to skillet and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Place chicken on 2 serving plates then add butter to skillet and swirl to melt.
- Spoon sauce over chicken.
Super delicious!! It was fast and easy. I would recommend having it with a creamy rice dish or egg noddles, like Cookgirl suggested. Also, I only used about 1/2 the amount of flour, and it still turned out great!
As *Z* said, this is indeed very yummy! Clear directions, too. I skipped Step #8 because I didn't find it necessary. Tri-colored sage from our herb garden was used and I served the chicken with pan grilled local asparagus, couscous (although next time I think I'd prefer the chicken served with egg noodles) and French bread. God Bless you, Mep and may your memory live forever. Reviewed for Mep's Cookathon. cg
Yummy!! I had to use chicken gravy instead of chicken broth due to my bad planning, but it was still great!! The sage flavor will probably stand out more with the broth instead of the heavy gravy. It cooked up quick and easy.