1/1 Photo of Sage and Garlic Roast Chicken
1 hr 29 mins
1 hr 19 mins
Tea Girl's Note:
This is based on a couple of recipes I found online and some things I did to make it easier. It is a bit too greasy to roast veggies or potatoes in the same roasting pan, but you can make a nice side dish of veggies in another pan. It goes well with roasted zucchini.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1814.36 g whole chickens (can use smaller but the cooking time is different then)
- 7.39-9.85 ml lemon pepper
- 22 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped (must be be fresh, don't substitute!)
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 88.74 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 29.58 ml chicken fat (chicken fat is better, but use olive oil if you don't have it, but not extra virgin) or 29.58 ml olive oil (chicken fat is better, but use olive oil if you don't have it, but not extra virgin)
- salt and black pepper
- 8 sprig parsley
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1Heat oven to 240°C (475°F).
- 2Add butter, sage, lemon pepper and garlic in a bowl and combine.
- 3Using your fingers and a small, sharp knife, loosen skin of chicken from breasts and thighs.
- 4Slip butter mixture between skin and meat, spreading it evenly.
- 5Brush skin with chicken fat or oil and season cavity with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Stuff with lemon, parsley, some of the carrots and 1 quartered onion.
- 7Tie legs together with kitchen twine.
- 8Put the other quartered onion and leftover carrots onto center of roasting pan and place chicken on top of them.
- 9Roast for 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 200°C (400°F).
- 10Continue roasting until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh reads 80°C (170°F), about 1 hour. This will be about 20 minutes less with a pound less chicken.
- 11Transfer chicken to where you plan to carve and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sage and Garlic Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 877.9
- Calories from Fat 632
- Total Fat 70.2 g
- Saturated Fat 26.1 g
- Cholesterol 265.1 mg
- Sodium 225.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 51.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves