Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 19 mins
This is based on a couple of recipes I found online and some things I did to make it easier. It is a bit too greasy to roast veggies or potatoes in the same roasting pan, but you can make a nice side dish of veggies in another pan. It goes well with roasted zucchini.
- 4 lbs whole chickens (can use smaller but the cooking time is different then)
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 22 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped (must be be fresh, don't substitute!)
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons chicken fat (chicken fat is better, but use olive oil if you don't have it, but not extra virgin) or 2 tablespoons olive oil (chicken fat is better, but use olive oil if you don't have it, but not extra virgin)
- salt and black pepper
- 8 sprigs parsley
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Heat oven to 240°C (475°F).
- Add butter, sage, lemon pepper and garlic in a bowl and combine.
- Using your fingers and a small, sharp knife, loosen skin of chicken from breasts and thighs.
- Slip butter mixture between skin and meat, spreading it evenly.
- Brush skin with chicken fat or oil and season cavity with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff with lemon, parsley, some of the carrots and 1 quartered onion.
- Tie legs together with kitchen twine.
- Put the other quartered onion and leftover carrots onto center of roasting pan and place chicken on top of them.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 200°C (400°F).
- Continue roasting until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh reads 80°C (170°F), about 1 hour. This will be about 20 minutes less with a pound less chicken.
- Transfer chicken to where you plan to carve and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Great recipe. Ended up with a very juicy and flavorful chicken. Cooking time was perfect. Will be making this again! Made for Fall 2012 PAC game.