Recipe by Sharon123
Vegetarian sausages, made with cheese! Yum! Prep time includes chilling time.
Top Review by Connie K
I may have to play with the seasoning on this one to get it more to my family's taste; perhaps it was the goat cheese. The sausages were fragile until after I turned them the first time. They held together quite well after that. I couldn't find fresh sage, so used about 2 teaspoons of rubbed sage. Interesting recipe. I will keep trying with other flavorings. Thanks!
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 small leek, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped goat cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄3 all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or 2 tablespoons corn oil
- shredded fresh sage (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, leek, walnuts, sage, lemon zest, and mustard powder.
- Gradually blend the goat cheese into the mixture.
- Separate 1 egg, reserving the white and adding the yolk to the remaining egg.
- Beat the egg and yolk into the cheese mixture with the milk.
- Season to taste.
- Divide the mixture into 8 pieces and roll into sausages about 3 inches long.
- Cover and chill for about 1 hour to allow the flavors to develop.
- Sprinkle the flour onto a plate.
- Brush the sausages with the reserved egg white, then dip into the flour until lightly coated all over.
- Shake off any excess flour.
- Heat the oil in a skillet, add the sausages, and cook over medium heat,turning occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, until golden.
- Drain on paper towels, and serve immediately, garnished with sage.