Recipe by TXOLDHAM
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style
Top Review by Cooking as Therapy
My cousin brought this to Thanksgiving this year & it was amazing! It was one of the things i went back for more on:-) Will have to make it myself sometime, but my first try sold me! The basil adds something that just really makes it.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 5 cups corn, cut off the cob (6 to 8 ears)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3⁄4 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated, plus extra for sprinkling on top
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease baking dish.
- Saute corn and onion in the butter over medium high heat for 4 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Whisk together milk, half-and-half and eggs. Slowly whisk in cornmeal and ricotta cheese. Add basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Add the corn onion mixture and the grated cheddar cheese. Pour into the greased baking dish. Sprinkle top with additional grated cheese.
- Place the baking dish in a larger pan and fill with water half way up the side of the baking dish. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.