Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is wonderful to serve as an appetizer, serve lots of lemon wedges and I like crisp Pita Bread Pieces. If you cannot get the Greek cheese you may in a pinch use Italian Provolone - I had to use this because I didn't plan far enough ahead to get the good Greek Cheese. Evelyn/Athens posted a link to this recipe (off Zaar) and when I searced Recipezaar I could not find one like this. Thanks Evelyn. The recipe is simple and very good.
- 453.59 g krinos kefalograviera cheese or 453.59 g kasseri cheese or 453.59 g graviera cheese
- flour (for dredging)
- 118.29 ml olive oil (or less)
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Cut the cheese into strips 2 " wide and 1/2" thick.
- Place strips one by one under the cold water tap and coat lightly with flour, set aside until you have dredged all the strips.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet and pan fry the cheese, turn once until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove dab with paper towels and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
I had to use the provolone but was so happy with the results. Yum. =)
This is my favorite way to make Saganaki. So tasty. Its Cypriot as well as I use haloumy (haloom in Arabic) cheese and cut them a slight bit thinner. A very tasty meze we eat for breakfast with bread or rice crackers to be gluten free!
I used kasseri. I ate it all. My tummy hurts.