1/3 Photos of Saganaki: Flaming Cheese
2 hrs 5 mins
This is so very simple, very impressive and fun to make! "Opa"... (Prep time includes marinade time)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice the cheese into 1/2" thick triangles or 3-4" squares (depending on the style you buy).
- 2Place brandy into a zip-lock baggie and add cheese portions, seal and let marinate for 2 hours).
- 3Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over a med/high heat. Remove cheese portions from marinade, reserving marinade for later use.
- 4Dredge cheese thru the flour, shaking off excess.
- 5Fry the cheese slices approx 2 minutes, flip with spatula and fry an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat when nicely seared on each side and gooey.
- 6Now here is where you need to heed a caution -- Carefully carry the cast iron skillet to the dinner table. Pour 1 ounce of the brandy marinade over the top of the fried cheese, and immediately set ablaze with a lighter. (Be sure to yell "Opa". Immediately squeeze a lemon slice over the top to dowse the flames.
- 7Serve with warmed pita slices and additional lemon wedges. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saganaki: Flaming Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.0
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 215.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: