Recipe by Steve P.
Greek style fried cheese appetizer. Kasseri cheese is traditional but Mozzarella can be substituted in a pinch if you can't find kasseri cheese in your area.
- 8 ounces kasseri cheese
- flour (for dredging)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- fresh cherry tomatoes
- pita bread, wedges
- kalamata olive
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the cheese in Ouzo and dredge in flour.
- Heat olive oil until almost smoking.
- Sauté cheese and brown about 1 minute on each side.
- Flame with more Ouzo.
- Transfer to serving platter and squeeze lemon juice and sprinkle oregano and salt and pepper.
- Serve with pita bread, olives and tomatoes.