1 hr 10 mins
Um Safia's Note:
Safra is a traditional cake from Libya. It is rich & aromatic with the flavours of cloves, cinnaomn & dates. To finish this delicious cake you drench it in syrup & leave it to soak for around 6 hours... then you can enjoy! Time to make doesn't include the syrup soaking time! Safra is eaten throughout the year but is very commonly eaten during Ramadan in Libya.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 lbs pitted dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 lbs semolina (fine or medium)
- 1 lb granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 3/4 cup water
- blanched almonds or whole cloves, for garnish
- 1Put the oil and dates in a heavy skillet and cook over low heat, stirring continuously, for about 20 minutes, or until a thick paste has formed.
- 2Remove skillet from the heat and stir in the cinnamon and cloves. Cool the paste. Mix cake ingredients except the almonds or cloves together into a thick batter.
- 3Put half of the batter into a cake tin 12 x 12 in., or 12 x 16 inches Put in the date filling, pressing it into the corners of the tin so that it covers the batter. Pour in the balance of the batter and smooth out the surface.
- 4Lightly score the top of the cake in 2- inches diamond shapes or square pieces. Put 1 blanched almond in the center of each diamond or press 1 whole clove into each piece, with the stem down. (clove is prettier but yor not going to eat it!).
- 5Put the cake tin into the center of the oven so that it bakes evenly, and bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 45 minutes.
- 6Put all syrup ingredients into a pan and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. When the cake is removed from the oven, pour the hot syrup over the top and allow it to be absorbed.
- 7Let the cake stand at room temperature for at least 6 hours before eating.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Safra - Traditional Libyan Semolina and Date Cake W/Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1382.2
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 97.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 264.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 170.3 g
- Protein 16.6 g