1/2 Photos of Saffron White Wine Pasta Dough
Saffron gives the pasta a Golden color and exotic fragrance. Matching it nice with seafood.Adapted from making artisan pasta by Aliza Green. A very good book! I made Capellini and it came out perfect.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Crush saffron with dry hands. Soak saffron in the wine for 10 minutes.
- 2Place flour on large hard surface that has been floured. Mix in salt.
- 3Mix the egg then add the saffron wine stirring in to combine.
- 4.Make a well in center of the flour. Add a little of the egg mixture to the center using a fork to whisk the flour into egg mixture. Keep adding till all is absorbed.
- 5Knead with hands until fully incorporated. Dough will be sticky, so use some flour to be able to form into a ball. Flatten out a bit, cover with a damp towel to keep from drying. Or place a bowl over it.
- 6Rest for 30 minutes. Do NOT skip this step.
- 7Separate the dough into two pieces.
- 8Flour your work surface and start to roll out the dough, rolling from the middle, flipping it occasionally, and flouring it as necessary to keep it from sticking. To keep the sheet from breaking, once it has reached a certain size, roll it up around the rolling pin and then invert the rolling pin; you can, as you are unrolling the sheet, gently stretch it by holding the unrolled part firm and pulling gently away with the rolling pin. Keep on flipping and rolling till you have a sheet that's almost transparent -- as thin as a dime, or thinner, (the pasta will almost double in thickness while cooking).
- 9Now you can either use it to make crab filled ravioli or tortellini, for lasagna, or cut it into strips. Roll out the second piece and cut it as you did the first.
- 11Use a hand operated pasta machine that clamps to your work surface, then you crank it through the rollers until it reaches the proper thinness that doesn't break up. Having a smooth, intact pasta. Cut pasta in ribbons or make whatever shape you prefer.
- 12Or if lucky enough to have a motorized machine pour in the egg mixture and flour and let the machine do the rest.
- 13Fresh pasta cooks in 3-5 minutes. be sure not to overcook.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saffron White Wine Pasta Dough
Serving Size: 1 (39 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 57.1
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 110.6 mg
- Sodium 103.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: