Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
sophie grigson's TV programme a wonderfully yellow tea bread using saffron, old English recipe
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 100 g butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g golden sultana raisins
- 50 g chopped glace cherries
- 280 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- put the saffron in a jug and pour in 230 ml of hot water.
- leave to infuse for at least 20 minutes.
- put the butter and sugar in a large saucepan and stir over a moderate heat.
- When the butter has melted and mixed with the sugar, add the sultanas and cherries.
- pour in the saffron water.
- return to heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- leave to cool.
- preheat over to 180c/gas 4.
- grease and line a 500gr loaf tin.
- stir in the flour/salt and baking powder and slowly stir into saffron mixture to form a batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for between 1 and 1 and quarter hours, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- leave to cool on a rack.
- serve in slices with butter.
- I have a 1 KG tin, so just use double the mixture and bake longer
Sorry, I didn't care for this recipe at all. It was a waste of good saffron. Perhaps there should be egg in the recipe. The texture is rubbery. I wouldn't serve it to guests.
Loved it! This recipe turned out to be exactly what I was looking for! We have a senior family friend who is English and not well. His mother made him saffron bread so I took up the challenge by using Ann's recipe. Superb! I soaked the raisins in the saffron tea while it was being infused. I also added some chopped walnuts and some chopped tropical fruit mix. The most difficult part of the recipe for me was changing the measurements to USA.