Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
sophie grigson's TV programme a wonderfully yellow tea bread using saffron, old English recipe
Make and share this Saffron Tea Bread recipe from Food.com.
- put the saffron in a jug and pour in 230 ml of hot water.
- leave to infuse for at least 20 minutes.
- put the butter and sugar in a large saucepan and stir over a moderate heat.
- When the butter has melted and mixed with the sugar, add the sultanas and cherries.
- pour in the saffron water.
- return to heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- leave to cool.
- preheat over to 180c/gas 4.
- grease and line a 500gr loaf tin.
- stir in the flour/salt and baking powder and slowly stir into saffron mixture to form a batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for between 1 and 1 and quarter hours, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- leave to cool on a rack.
- serve in slices with butter.
- I have a 1 KG tin, so just use double the mixture and bake longer
Loved it! This recipe turned out to be exactly what I was looking for! We have a senior family friend who is English and not well. His mother made him saffron bread so I took up the challenge by using Ann's recipe. Superb! I soaked the raisins in the saffron tea while it was being infused. I also added some chopped walnuts and some chopped tropical fruit mix. The most difficult part of the recipe for me was changing the measurements to USA.