Use only basmati rice, please. From our local newspaper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve the saffron threads in 4 tablespoons hot water and set aside to soak.
- 2Wash the basmati rice twice and soak in salted warm water for 2-3 hours.
- 3Drain the water.
- 4Pour enough water into a large pan until pan is half-full. Bring to the boil.
- 5Add the drained rice and 1 tablespoon salt. Continue boiling until rice is slightly softened, about 10 minutes.
- 6Drain rice and wash it slightly with warm water.
- 7Pour 3 tablespoons of grapeseed oil into the pan and add the rice.
- 8Mix the remaining grapeseed oil with the saffron water and pour *half* this mixture over the rice.
- 9Cover pan and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. A golden crust (tadiq) will form on the bottom.
- 10Sprinkle the remaining saffron water and oil mixture over the rice.
- 11Reduce heat to low and cover the top of the pan with two layers of paper towels ( I used a double layer of muslin cloth).
- 12Cover pan firmly with the cover and cook 45 minutes WITHOUT removing lid.
- 13Remove pot from heat and let rest 5 minutes.
- 14Turn the rice out on a large serving platter with the golden crust on top.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saffron Steamed Basmati Rice (Persian Polow)
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.3
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3496.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 9.1 g