Use only basmati rice, please. From our local newspaper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve the saffron threads in 4 tablespoons hot water and set aside to soak.
- 2Wash the basmati rice twice and soak in salted warm water for 2-3 hours.
- 3Drain the water.
- 4Pour enough water into a large pan until pan is half-full. Bring to the boil.
- 5Add the drained rice and 1 tablespoon salt. Continue boiling until rice is slightly softened, about 10 minutes.
- 6Drain rice and wash it slightly with warm water.
- 7Pour 3 tablespoons of grapeseed oil into the pan and add the rice.
- 8Mix the remaining grapeseed oil with the saffron water and pour *half* this mixture over the rice.
- 9Cover pan and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. A golden crust (tadiq) will form on the bottom.
- 10Sprinkle the remaining saffron water and oil mixture over the rice.
- 11Reduce heat to low and cover the top of the pan with two layers of paper towels ( I used a double layer of muslin cloth).
- 12Cover pan firmly with the cover and cook 45 minutes WITHOUT removing lid.
- 13Remove pot from heat and let rest 5 minutes.
- 14Turn the rice out on a large serving platter with the golden crust on top.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saffron Steamed Basmati Rice (Persian Polow)
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.3
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3496.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 9.1 g