Have plenty of coarse country bread on hand to soak up the flavorful juices on the plate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lemons
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 0.25 ml saffron thread
- 6 halibut fillets, each 6 to 7 oz. and about 3/4 inch thick,skinned
- coarse salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
For the vegetables
- 1In a small bowl, whisk together the juice of 1 lemon, the olive oil and saffron.
- 2Season the fish fillets with coarse salt and pepper.
- 3Place in a nonaluminum dish in a single layer.
- 4Pour the oil mixture over the fish and turn to coat.
- 5Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- 6Preheat an oven to 450 degrees.
- 7Spray a roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray and place in the oven until it is hot, about 5 minutes.
- 8Sprinkle a little coarse salt on the bottom of the hot pan.
- 9Lift the fish fillets from the marinade, reserving the marinade, and place them, skin sides down, on the hot pan.
- 10Roast until opaque throughout when pierced with a knife, 7 to 10 minutes.
- 11Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables: In a large nonaluminum sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil.
- 12Add the shallots and sauté until they begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 13Add the saffron and continue to cook until the shallots are soft, about 4 minutes more.
- 14Transfer about 1 tbsp.
- 15of the shallots to a small dish and set aside.
- 16Increase the heat under the sauté pan to high.
- 17Working in 3 batches, add the spinach leaves to the shallots remaining in the pan.
- 18Saute, tossing constantly, until the spinach is wilted but still bright green, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 19Transfer to a plate, season with coarse salt and pepper, and keep warm.
- 20Place the sauté pan over medium heat and add the reserved shallots.
- 21Add the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 22Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 23Add the reserved marinade, increase the heat to high, and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened and the vegetables are just tender, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- 24Season with coarse salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- 25Mound a portion of the spinach in the center of each individual plate.
- 26Top each with a fish fillet and spoon the zucchini mixture over the fish.
- 27Dust the fish and the plate with the parsley.
- 28Cut the remaining lemon into wedges and divide among the plates.
Browse Our Top Halibut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saffron-Scented Halibut with Spinach, Zucchini and Tomato
Serving Size: 1 (570 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 618.7
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 130.3 mg
- Sodium 290.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 89.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh flat-leaf parsley