Recipe by Queen Dana
Published in Bon Appetit April 2009.
Top Review by I'mPat
This was so good, I scaled it back for 5/8th cup of couscous which was plenty for 3 of us as a side. All liquid only took about 6 to 7 minutes to absorb and the colour was just fabulous (had the DM raving) though if you should want to add a litte sweetness add some sultanas or raisins (pre=-soaked) I think would be good. Thank you Queen Dana, made for ZAAR Chef Alphabet Soup Tag Game..
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 cups couscous (about 12 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced and divided (about 5)
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted and divided
Directions See How It's Made
- bring broth, 2 tablespoons butter, saffron, and 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt to boil in heavy large saucepan, stirring to melt butter.
- Remove from heat. Mix in couscous. Cover and let stand until all liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender, about 10 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork. Mix in remaining 1 tablespoon butter and half of green onions and nuts. Seanson to taste with salt and pepper. Mound in bowl. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and nuts.