This is a sauce often used for fish. Spaniards eat a good amount of fish, so this sauce is pretty popular. When you cook fish, make this sauce, and add in the fish pan juices as the very last step of this recipe.
- Dissolve the saffron in heated fish stock that uses white wine and a little vinegar.
- Make a roux with hlaf the butter (or 1/4 cup) and the flour. Moisten with the stock, adding stock until the consistency is just as thick as whipping cream.
- Soften the peppers with the garlic in the remaining butter over low heat. When they are soft, add this to the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the cream, Madeira and lemon juice.
- Add juices from the fish you are cooking to use this sauce with, for maximum flavor and so as not to be wasteful!