1/1 Photo of Saffron Risotto
Mel T's Note:
My mom made this risotto for us fairly frequently as we loved it so much. I got this recipe from "Italian Cooking" by Capalbo et al. I was forced to find an actual recipe since my mom doesn't have her recipes on paper (you know how it is :)) and this one comes very close. Yes, it's a bit time consuming and requires a lot of stirring, but you will be well-rewarded in the end for your effort! :D In Italy, this risotto is classically served with osso bucco, but it's wonderful even on its own!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring the stock to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer.
- 2Ladle a little stock into a small bowl.
- 3Add the saffron threads or powder and leave to infuse.
- 4Melt 4 tbsp of the butter in a large saucepan until foaming.
- 5Add the onion and cook gently for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened.
- 6Add the rice.
- 7Stir until grains start to swell and burst, then add a few ladlefuls of the stock, with the saffron liquid, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Stir over low heat until the stock is absorbed.
- 9Add the remaining stock, a few ladlefuls at a time, allowing the rice to absorb all of the liquid before adding more, and stirring constantly.
- 10After 20-25 minutes, the rice should be al dente and the risotto golden yellow, moist and creamy.
- 11Gently stir in about two-thirds of the parmesan and the rest of the butter.
- 12Heat through until the butter has melted, then taste for seasoning.
- 13Transfer the risotto to a warmed serving bowl or platter and serve immediately, with the remaining parmesan sprinkled on top.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saffron Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 561.1
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 67.8 mg
- Sodium 1652.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 18.4 g