Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 19 mins
Adapted from San Fransisco's Millenium Restaurant's Cookbook(which was posted in Color Me Vegan) and published in the Vegan's Daily Companion by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, this is rub your tummy good. Enjoy! (I didn't have saffron and this was still delicious. I also made this using cranberry pepper preserves and yum).
- 14.79 ml water (or vegetable stock-original recipe used 3 Tbs olive oil)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml fennel seed (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 473.18 ml uncooked basmati rice
- 2.46 ml saffron steeped in 1/4 cup warm water
- 828.06 ml vegetable stock
- 473.18 ml of cubed roasted sweet potatoes
- 1 tart apple, diced and tossed with lemon juice
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 toasted pine nuts
Ingredients for Apricot Dressing
- 59.14 ml apricot preserves
- 78.07 ml rice vinegar
- 14.79 ml curry powder
- 1.23 ml ground cardamom (optional)
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 118.29 ml water
- 59.14 ml oil
- 29.58 ml finely shredded mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
- In a saucepan, heat the water or stock over medium heat (or add 1 Tbs olive oil instead of liquid) and saute the onions and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- . Then add the cumin, fennel seeds, pepper, and salt. Saute for 1 minute Add the rice and stir constantly for 2 minutes or until rice smells fragrant. Add saffron in water and the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 40 - 45 min until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Toss peeled cubed sweet potatoes with 2 Tbs olive oil and roast on baking sheet at 450 degrees until slightly browned (around 25-30 min). Also toast pine nuts(I buy mine already toasted).
- When rice is cooked, put in a bowl and add sweet potatoes, apples, scallions and pine nuts.
- To make dressing:.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until emulsified. Add more spices to taste if you feel it is needed. Combine most of the dressing with the rice and taste. If you think it needs more dressing, add more. Serve and enjoy!
This is beyond five stars! Can you tell I really enjoyed this rice dish?
Excellent! I added the optional fennel seeds and loved it - will definitely make it again this way! Forgot the optional cardamom, though, so I have a reason to make it again soon. Thanks for sharing!
Made for ZWT 8 / India for the Lively Lemon Lovelies
Really enjoyed this dish. Followed the directions closely, but forgot to add the apples in before I took the photo. They did make it to the plate though. Made for New Kids on the Block Tag Game. :)