1/2 Photos of Saffron Rice With Curried Apricot Dressing
1 hr 39 mins
1 hr 19 mins
Adapted from San Fransisco's Millenium Restaurant's Cookbook(which was posted in Color Me Vegan) and published in the Vegan's Daily Companion by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, this is rub your tummy good. Enjoy! (I didn't have saffron and this was still delicious. I also made this using cranberry pepper preserves and yum).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon water (or vegetable stock-original recipe used 3 Tbs olive oil)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron steeped in 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups of cubed roasted sweet potatoes
- 1 tart apple, diced and tossed with lemon juice
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 toasted pine nuts
Ingredients for Apricot Dressing
- 1In a saucepan, heat the water or stock over medium heat (or add 1 Tbs olive oil instead of liquid) and saute the onions and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Then add the cumin, fennel seeds, pepper, and salt. Saute for 1 minute Add the rice and stir constantly for 2 minutes or until rice smells fragrant. Add saffron in water and the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 40 - 45 min until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.
- 3Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- 4Toss peeled cubed sweet potatoes with 2 Tbs olive oil and roast on baking sheet at 450 degrees until slightly browned (around 25-30 min). Also toast pine nuts(I buy mine already toasted).
- 5When rice is cooked, put in a bowl and add sweet potatoes, apples, scallions and pine nuts.
- 6To make dressing:.
- 7Combine all the dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until emulsified. Add more spices to taste if you feel it is needed. Combine most of the dressing with the rice and taste. If you think it needs more dressing, add more. Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saffron Rice With Curried Apricot Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (1315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.1
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 38.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: