Saffron Rice With Currants and Snow Peas
- Soak currants in wine until needed.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, melt butter and stir in rice; cook over medium low heat, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Bring broth to a boil with saffron. Pour over rice; stir in basil, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, covered, until all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Stir in currants and wine. Spread on a large platter and arrange quail on top.
- Steam or stir fry snow peas and place around edge or at ends of platter. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Canadian Living the Merry Christmas Cookbook Special.