Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This flavorful rice dish goes well with any poultry, especially game hens.
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄4 cup rose wine or 2 tablespoons medium sweet sherry
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups converted long grain rice (Uncle Bens)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinch of crumbled saffron threads or 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb snow peas
- Soak currants in wine until needed.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, melt butter and stir in rice; cook over medium low heat, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Bring broth to a boil with saffron. Pour over rice; stir in basil, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, covered, until all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Stir in currants and wine. Spread on a large platter and arrange quail on top.
- Steam or stir fry snow peas and place around edge or at ends of platter. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Canadian Living the Merry Christmas Cookbook Special.