Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This flavorful rice dish goes well with any poultry, especially game hens.
Make and share this Saffron Rice With Currants and Snow Peas recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄4 cup rose wine or 2 tablespoons medium sweet sherry
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups converted long grain rice (Uncle Bens)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinch of crumbled saffron threads or 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb snow peas
- Soak currants in wine until needed.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, melt butter and stir in rice; cook over medium low heat, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Bring broth to a boil with saffron. Pour over rice; stir in basil, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, covered, until all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Stir in currants and wine. Spread on a large platter and arrange quail on top.
- Steam or stir fry snow peas and place around edge or at ends of platter. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Canadian Living the Merry Christmas Cookbook Special.