Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This rice is Indian inspired and so the recipe calls for traditional basmati, but Texmati rice will give much the same effect, and in fact any white rice is good made this way. Substitute almonds for the cashews if you prefer.
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 5 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled saffron thread
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cashews
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Put the rice in a medium saucepan with the water, cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaves, saffron, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, without removing the lid, for 10 minutes.
- With a fork, gently stir in the butter, cashews, and raisins.
This rice side dish went well with spatchcock chicken (with a simple grains of paradise rub) and stir fried brussels sprouts and onions. Be sure to remind yourself and others of the whole cloves. Made as written. Reviewed for February Tag Game Raisins/Uvas Pasas in Spanish forum.
This was wonderful for DH and I! I was pleasantly surprised that this dish tasted so good as I tend to find rice cooked in water as apposed to chicken stock too bland for our tastes. I used white basmati rice. I used 2 cloves instead of 5 out of preference. I added a little canola oil instead of butter because we are dairy free. I used dark raisins. I took ~Rita~s idea to the next level and toasted some pine nuts and used cardamom as well in replacement of the cashews one time. The second time I did the same but with toasted slivered almonds of which some I mixed in and some I kept to garnish. I served this along with Recipe #181865, Recipe #322921 and Recipe #140618 for a good Lebanese/Palestinian meal. I will make this recipe again for sure.
Made this for lunch today using my rice cooker which cooks basmati rice to perfection. Used 'Pure Spanish Saffron' one of my recent purchases at herb and spice party. Made as posted with excellent results- we rice lovers are wanting to add this one to our Family Favorites. Thank you for sharing.