1/14 Photos of Saffron Rice
A very fragrant Indian side dish! I just love the cardamom! Ghee can be bought in any supermaket if you want check out my recipe to make it. Check out this thread http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=226770 on step x step pictures to make this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3 tablespoons boiling water or 3 tablespoons chicken broth, plus
- 4 cups boiling water or 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons ghee or 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1Place the saffron in a small bowl and cover with 3 tablespoons of boiling water.
- 2Soak for 10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the butter over moderate heat in a large 3 or 4 quart stockpot.
- 4Add the cinnamon and cloves and stir well.
- 5Add the onions, garlic and saute for about 2 minutes.
- 6Add the rice and stir for about 5 minutes.
- 7Pour in the 4 cups of boiling water or broth, salt, and the cardamom.
- 8Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 9Add the saffron and its soaking water.
- 10Stir gently.
- 11Cover, reduce heat, and cook for 25 minutes.
- 12Fluff, remove cloves and cinnamon sticks and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saffron Rice
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.2
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 49.1 mg
- Sodium 1176.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 7.8 g