A very fragrant Indian side dish! I just love the cardamom! Ghee can be bought in any supermaket if you want check out my recipe to make it. Check out this thread http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=226770 on step x step pictures to make this.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3 tablespoons boiling water or 3 tablespoons chicken broth, plus
- 4 cups boiling water or 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons ghee or 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Place the saffron in a small bowl and cover with 3 tablespoons of boiling water.
- Soak for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter over moderate heat in a large 3 or 4 quart stockpot.
- Add the cinnamon and cloves and stir well.
- Add the onions, garlic and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the 4 cups of boiling water or broth, salt, and the cardamom.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the saffron and its soaking water.
- Stir gently.
- Cover, reduce heat, and cook for 25 minutes.
- Fluff, remove cloves and cinnamon sticks and serve hot.