Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Source: Recipe from a Greek Island - by Susie Jacobs.
- 25 saffron strands
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- salt, to taste
- Soak the saffron in the hot water for 10-15 minutes.
- Put the rice in a strainer and rinse under hot water until it runs clear.
- Then rinse again under cold water and leave to drain.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the rice.
- Saute until it becomes translucent.
- Add the remaining amount of water and salt, bring to a boil, and add the saffron infusion.
- Stir, cover tightly, and leave to simmer on a very low heat (preferably on a heat diffuser) - for about 20 minutes, until craters from on the surface.
- Stretch a piece of cheesecloth or a dish towel over the top, cover tightly with a lid, and leave in a warm corner to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- The cloth will absorb the steam from the rice and allow the grains to separate.