Recipe by cookingpompom
From a Dinner Party Cookbook I was given, I haven't made this yet but really want to try it soon.
Top Review by KateL
Excellent, all the flavors came through, with a slight fruity finish from the sultanas. This would be best with a plainish entree. Made for The Wild Bunch for ZWT8 for its trip to India.
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 125 g blanched almonds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ghee, extra
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1⁄2 cup sultana
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the ghee in a deep pan, add the almonds and fry until JUST golden. Remove from the pan and add the extra ghee.
- Add the onion and fry until tender, add the rice and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the spices and allow to become fragant - stir constantly.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and reduce heat. Simmer covered for 15 minutes OR the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the sultanas and cook for a further 7 minutes on the lowest heat setting.
- Stir in the almonds and serve.