Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Everyone loves this, even my mother, who claimed to not like rice. I grow Saffron, so I garnish the rice with a Saffron Crocus flower when I serve it. I use this as a side dish with Shrimp Creole (I recommend Shrimp Creole, along with a Spinach salad, and Lemon Meringue Pie). I adapted this from a 1973 Southern Living, Our Best Recipes, cookbook.
- 2.46 ml saffron (include threads, if you have them)
- 118.29 ml hot water (for dissolving saffron)
- 59.14 ml butter
- 354.88 ml uncooked rice
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 591.47 ml hot water
- Put 1/2 cup water in a 1 cup glass measuring cup and heat.
- Remove and add saffron, set aside.
- Put rice, onion and salt into a glass 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Put 1 cup water and the 1/2 stick of butter into a 2 cup glass measuring cup, and heat in microwave. (do not boil).
- Add dissolved saffron and water with melted butter to casserole. Stir.
- Place (uncovered) in a preheated 450°F oven.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring at the end of 10 minutes. Rice should be very dry.
- When rice is very dry, stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups of hot water.
- Cover, and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork, garnish, and serve.
I loved this quick and easy to make recipe. I used some extra special Spanish saffron that my brother gave me. The rice turned out perfect. Light, fluffy, beautifully colored with a delicious flavor. It was the perfect accompaniment for our comfort meal of bbq chicken and corn niblets in butter sauce. Thank you so much for sharing a recipe that has gone into my Best of 2014 Cookbook. Kudos to you. Made for What's on the Menu Tag Game 2015.
Great rice dished and wonderful color. We served it with Swiss Steak and Glaze Carrots. I to added a little more salt to the finished rice. Thanks
Wow! This was very nice. I've never made saffron rice before and really enjoyed the flavor. I added a bit more salt, but that was it. It's plain, but for some reason my family was fighting over the leftovers. So, this gets a 5 for being simple, yet delicious!! Thanks for this recipe!! This goes into my favorites folder! :-)