1/9 Photos of Saffron Rice
1 hr 15 mins
Everyone loves this, even my mother, who claimed to not like rice. I grow Saffron, so I garnish the rice with a Saffron Crocus flower when I serve it. I use this as a side dish with Shrimp Creole (I recommend Shrimp Creole, along with a Spinach salad, and Lemon Meringue Pie). I adapted this from a 1973 Southern Living, Our Best Recipes, cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put 1/2 cup water in a 1 cup glass measuring cup and heat.
- 2Remove and add saffron, set aside.
- 3Put rice, onion and salt into a glass 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- 4Put 1 cup water and the 1/2 stick of butter into a 2 cup glass measuring cup, and heat in microwave. (do not boil).
- 5Add dissolved saffron and water with melted butter to casserole. Stir.
- 6Place (uncovered) in a preheated 450°F oven.
- 7Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring at the end of 10 minutes. Rice should be very dry.
- 8When rice is very dry, stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups of hot water.
- 9Cover, and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- 10Uncover and bake another 5 minutes.
- 11Fluff with fork, garnish, and serve.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saffron Rice
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.2
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 399.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 5.2 g