Recipe by Lorac
A fantabulous side dish - or serve it over couscous as a vegetarian main course.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
These potatoes were quite delicious! This was both a lovely and tasty side dish. The directions are very clear and accurate - I found them very easy to follow. I liked the blend of seasonings and especially loved the touch of fresh cilantro added at the end. I might add a touch of cayenne pepper next time to make them a little spicy as they were quite mild.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak saffron in hot water.
- Cook potatoes in salted water until tender but still firm, drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom saucepan, add onion, turmeric, coriander and cumin.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add potato, broth, and garlic, then bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add saffron water and raisins and cook 10 minutes or until potato is soft and the sauce is reduced and thickened.
- Stir in the parsley and cilantro.