Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A tagine is a Moroccan casserole dish, if you don't have one a normal casserole dish works just as well.
- 4 lbs potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron strand
- 5 ounces large raisins
- 1⁄2 pint hot vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 8 - 10 minutes Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a casserole dish suitable for the stovetop and fry onions for 4 minutes Add garlic, spices, raisins and half the stock.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes the stock should have reduced by about 50%.
- Add potatoes and remaining stock. Simmer for another 10 minutes until everything has warmed through and the sauce has thickened.
- Season if desired and stir in the fresh herbs. Serve with cous cous.
Made for the Great Tagine Treasure Hunt!!! I really enjoyed this tagine. I made no alterations to the ingredients BUT after reading the previous comments, I decided to cook this in a traditional tagine in the traditional way. This means that I didn't pre-boil the potatoes but instead I put everything in the tagine together (except coriander /cilantro & parsely) I cooked it on a medium heat for around 1hour - thsi way the flavours permeated the potatoes instead of just being in the sauce. This made the tagine really delicious & I will be making it again for definite. Thanks PinkCherryBlossom for this lovely recipe!
I did something wrong.
Very tasty. I could have eaten this on it's own. I cooked mine in a heavy saucepan since I don't have a tagine and tried to keep the heat as low as possible. I don't know if it was the heat or the floury potatoes I used but I had to add a bit of extra stock to be able to heat the potatoes through again (I had gone to the shops for raisins between step 1 and 2!) It did mean, however, that I had a lot of lovely thick sauce. Excellent!